Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Mad Men Salad

Well, I'm slowly getting settled back in at home and that means getting groceries and cooking.
While we were in Florida, Hughie and I visited an organic market. This was something that I had been looking forward to leading up to the trip. We don't really have an organic market in St. John's where I live, we barely have an organic section at our local grocery shops so this was quite a treat! One of the things I purchased while there was anchovy paste in a tube.

Today I was thinking about different ways to incorporate the paste into my cooking and caesar salad was at the top of my list. I've never made my own caesar salad dressing, that is, until today.

Recently I was watching Rachel Ray, not a common occurrence but I'll tune in once in a while, and Christina Hendricks was her guest. She showed Rachel a ceasar recipe that she makes all the time. Now, I've watched the first season of Mad Men and I know that I might get some crap for this but, I didn't really like it... I'm sorry!

It didn't keep my attention and I found it so... slow. That said, the style in the show is fantastic and I really liked the character of Joan, I mean who doesn't love a curvy red head? :)

So, in honor of Joan Holloway I made this Mad Men ceasar salad.
Adapted from this recipe.

 Mad Men Ceasar
1 Bunch curled leaf lettuce (or whatever greens you like)
2 T Fresh lemon juice
1 Clove minced garlic
1 t Anchovy paste
1 Egg (boiled for 45 seconds)
Dash Worcestershir sauce
2 T Olive Oil
Generous amount of grated Parmesan cheese
Mix all ingredients together, slowly whisking the oil in last.


If you have some crusty bread around cut it into small chunks and toss with Olive oil. Throw in a hot pan and crisp them up for quick croutons.

I would consider my first ceasar dressing attempt a success!

Do you like to make your own salad dressing?

3 comments:

  1. Awesome! I love me some Mad Men, so I know would love this!

    I don't make my own salad dressing :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks tasty! I've never made my own salad dressing, but my favorite dressing growing up was a catalina-like dressing my stepmom made.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I normally make my own using combination of olive oil + mustard + white wine vinegar :)

    ReplyDelete