Monday, July 12, 2010

It could be worse.

Hi Guys!

Well, last time I mentioned that I was having foot troubles and was worried about possibly having a stress fracture. I went to my doctor this morning and after a jumble of different physical tests I got some good and bad news.

The Bad: It is a stress fracture.
The Good: It is a minor stress fracture.

I was told that I can't run, at least for a couple weeks and then I have to build up from a mile or two, at a slow pace. It was hard to hear, especially two weeks before my Tely 10 race and some smaller races that I had wanted to participate in.

I was having a lot of doubts about the race coming up so soon but I still had it in the back of my mind that I was going to get out and do it, now I have no choice but to drop it.

I'm definitely suffering from mild injury depression today but I'm looking on the bright side, this will give me a chance to work on my cycling :)

My doctor said I was really lucky I stopped running when I noticed the pain because it could have been a lot worse! So, lucky me!

At least it was a great weekend.

Saturday my friend Robyn and I spent the afternoon soaking up the sun and the park! Even with sunscreen on I acquired a little sunburn but I'm taking care of it.


Yesterday Hughie and I decided to go on bit of an adventure, to Bell Island. Bell Island is a small Island located off the coast of Conception Bay, about a 20 minute drive and 20 minute Ferry ride away from my house. It was a beautiful day so we loaded up our bikes on Hughie's new car bike rack and off we went.

Without a car (and just our bikes) it was only $1.75 for each of us to go to and from the Island on the Ferry, what a cheap adventure!

We boarded the Beaumont Hamel Ferry and set sail!

I hadn't been on a large boat in quite some time, it was exciting! Our bikes enjoyed the ride too.


One end of the Island in the distance!


The bad news is when we got over there our beautiful day turned to pouring rain. We ran from the Ferry to the local Fish and Chips place and ordered some dinner and waited to dry off. Needless to say we didn't get any cycling in, unless you count to and from the Ferry and restaurant.

Defeated by the rain.
Hughie snapped these photos.

Even with the rain and not getting to cycle it was still a lot of fun! I love little adventures!

So, here is to future adventures and coming back a stronger, better and injury free runner!

Take care,

Alanna

4 comments:

  1. awww I am really sorry to hear that it is a stress fracture. Here's hoping a few weeks off will be just what it needs :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that pic I took of you is really pretty :)

    Yay more cycling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Boo on the stress fracture. Yay for your little adventure; sounds a lot of (wet) fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm really sorry to read about your stress fracture! I hope that it's healing quickly!

    I love the picture of your bikes on the boat!

    ReplyDelete