Thursday, June 10, 2010

The Joy of Cooking

Training: June 9, 60 minute group ride (spin)
June 10, 3 miles (tempo)

Well it's been a slow week on the training front. I woke up with an extremely stiff neck/shoulder on Monday which made it really uncomfortable to run, so I didn't. Then, on Tuesday I woke up with the existing stiff neck and a very sore hamstring, even though I had a rest day the previous day.

I blame these two ailments on two things:
1. I need a new pillow, the one I have now is just terrible.
2. I decided it was time to take the 'injury prone' part of 'injury prone runner' out of my subtitle for the blog. I have been injury free since last May (pulled hamstring which wasn't all that serious) and thought it was time to just be a 'runner'. I did this on Sunday... coincidence? :)

So, I took two rest days and eased back into it with a group ride which stretched out both my neck and hamstring nicely.

Now, onto FOOD.

Last month I finally picked up my very own copy of 'The Joy of Cooking', it was a good day. I've spent some quality time browsing the many recipes but have yet to try anything out. So, I've decided for the few weeks left of June I'll pick one recipe randomly a week and try it out! No, I haven't seen 'Julie and Julia' (little known secret, my first name is actually Julia; not Alanna, but I've been called Alanna since birth) yet but maybe I should check it out for inspirations sake, and the fact that I adore Meryl Streep!

I've also been asked to whip up some special cupcakes for a charity event coming up so I'll keep you posted on those!

Take care!
Alanna

4 comments:

  1. I really loved Julie and Julia - such a cute movie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have always wanted to own the Joy of cooking :)

    and you must watch Julie and julia! It is such a great movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So funny, you are the second person on my blog list to mention Julia Childs in 24 hours! I haven't seen Julie & Julia either, it's on my list. Good luck on the recipes, keep us posted! =o)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The older editions of the book are SO MUCH better!! I gave away my older edition when I "upgraded" to the new edition. I miss the older book so much more.

    I have a ton of great cookbooks at home if you want some suggestions. I love "how/why" books more than cookbooks. They way I can learn to cook without relying on a recipe.

    Check out www.AbeBooks.com for used books. You can save money that way. The site got me through college.

    Kevin
    http://halftriing.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete