Saturday, October 24, 2009

Winter Running

Hello!

So, it's that time again. Everyone is talking about the end of the season, and I still feel like it hasn't really started. It wasn't an overly successful season for me and I only ran a couple races. With the combination of the summer university semester and working a full time research position I was left with a lot less running time than I would have liked. Not to mention I was trying to incorporate cycling into my schedule and train for a small 10 day bike tour.


So, I am left feeling like I still have a lot of road running left in me before I am banished to the mill. That being said, I have decided to run outside this winter... gasp! For a lot of runners in warmer climates this might not seem like anything out of the ordinary, I on the other hand long for the luxury of being able to run and cycle 365 days a year. Unfortunately I live in very beautiful yet VERY cold province, where the winter weather always wins and I end up running inside, or not at all. I don't have the nerve yet to attempt to cycle outside (plus I actually really enjoy spin class) but I am going to tackle winter, head on.

In preparation of this new venture I've made a couple purchases:
I love MEC!

I'm hoping these two pieces will substantially help me stay comfortable along with the other run clothing I have.
My main worry however is staying off my ass.
I'm not sure how to dress my feet. From what I've read wool socks and regular running shoes should do the trick but how do I stop from slipping all over the place? After searching around the tubes I've come across YakTrax. These things seem perfect! There is even a video of people running around with them on an ice rink. I'm a little worried about them hurting my feet after a few miles but it'll hurt a lot more wiping out on the ice, which i'll most definitely do. :)

Whatever it takes, I will get out there and run!

There is it, my mission statement.
I know I still have a lot to learn about winter running and it might kick my ass but I'm going to at least try.

Happy Halloween all! (my 'Thriller MJ' pumpkin and I)


Enjoy the fall season while it lasts!

-Alanna.

2 comments:

  1. Wiping out on ice is NOT allowed!!! Best of luck with the winter running :)

    ReplyDelete